Tuesday, September 16, 2014

RIP - Maelstrom

I've never seen Frozen, probably never will.  A Frozen ride is replacing Maelstrom in the Norway Pavilion in Epcot.  I love Maelstrom and I will miss it when it is gone.  I don't know what kind of ride Frozen will be, I'm sure I'll still prefer Maelstrom and wish it was still there, but I can tell you that Frozen will be a better ride.

This reminds me a bit of Delta Dreamflight being replaced by Buzz Lightyear.  Delta Dreamflight was an omnimover ride past various projected screens.  It was low-tech, non-interactive, and a shameless commercial.  I loved it and wish it were still there.



In contrast, Buzz is a Disney property, has something to do with the future, and kids enjoy it.  Imagine going the other direction, and tearing down Buzz to install an airline ad.

Winnie the Pooh is better than Mr. Toad, and as bad as Mission Space is, it's still probably more popular than Horizons.

I will miss Norway, the exciting land of barely moving animatronics and oil rigs.  Your unload area was your best part.  At least we'll get a Martin's Tribute out this.

No comments:

Post a Comment