Thursday, January 31, 2019

Chainsaw by John Bender

My new year's resolution is to read more current indie horror.  I've had mixed results with modern self-published fiction, but I think I've run across a few current writers with the right vibe.  I tend to avoid reviewing them, as I'm both a nice guy and a coward, so I'll only be reviewing those I have something nice to say, or it's so bad I'm ok with taking a steaming dump all over it.

Chainsaw is the debut novella by John Bender, and is the story of two dumb rednecks who try to hold up a bank with the titular implement, which is stolen from a rancher who runs his hands with a cultlike intensity.

For me the vibe was more crime comedy than horror, more Raising Arizona than Evil Dead.  It also invokes early Joe Lansdale, one of Bender's influences.

It's cheap fun and quick enough not to wear out its welcome.  Give it a read, and follow Bender @TheRealJohnBend on twitter.  He's a solid dude, and I look forward to reading more from him.

Kindle ebook available from Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment