Thursday, March 14, 2019

Things I Didn't Finish: The Beast of Adam Gorightly: Collected Rantings

The Beast of Adam Gorightly: Collected Rantings

This book was a bit of a timewarp for me, taking me back to the early and mid 90s, before 9/11 or the rise of Alex Jones, when conspiracy theories were fun and edgy and counter-culture.  These were the days of the rants, of subgenii, of aging hippies desperately trying to be relevant.

I'm sure I've read Gorightly before in Paranoia, which I read and submitted a couple of BS rants myself to.  We start out with this old chestnut: Did you know that people have actually died at Disneyland?  It's like totally covered up, but my cousin talked to a guy who says it's happened before!

This kind of tomfoolery does not survive into the internet era.  Of course people have died at Disneyland, but in the 90s people acted as if it were a state secret because Disney didn't constantly advertise the fact.  In addition to the availability of news, the internet has also simplified basic fact-checking.

Gorightly discusses the death of an employee at America Sings, which he says was moved to Florida after this incident.  It wasn't, though Carousel of Progress was moved from Land to World before America Sings moved in.  If you're going to peddle bogus secret arcane knowledge, you need to get your basic mundane stuff down.

On Kindle for Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment