Wednesday, May 6, 2020

TV Obscura - Beane's of Boston

I was watching midnight PBS one night with a British friend and he was terrified to see a few seconds of Grace & Favour under the stupid American title Are You Being Served Again!  He couldn't see why anyone would voluntarily watch Are You Being Served, much less import it.  Unfamiliar with the re-titling, he thought it was only for the American market.

Turns out there was at least an Australian version with John Inman (and who else do you need, really), and this attempt at an American version by Gary Marshall in 1979.



Some good casting, and I'm afraid that my brain is softening in my advancing age to the point where I'm starting to enjoy 70s sitcoms again.  I appreciate their commitment to the original in having the exact same set.

No comments:

Post a Comment